I didn't blog the third element of the vegan meal with soup and beets, and that was what I ended up enjoying the most. I just threw some things in with half a cabbage and sautéed. Whatever, green side dish. Then I tasted it, and stopped. The texture was obviously different, but it tasted exactly like a potato chip. I made up the other half of the cabbage on my next cooking day to figure out what I did and how to write it as a recipe.
Part of the secret is to be generous with the oil. I mean, we're going for a chip vibe. I used twice as much as I thought I should. I also went a little heavy with the salt, then let it sit for a while before turning on the heat. The third flavoring ingredient is the paprika, which seems to bring all the other flavors together.
1/2 green cabbage
2 Tb avocado or olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1. Cut the cabbage in wedges and remove the core. Slice crosswise into squares and toss in a skillet with oil and salt. Let sit for 15 minutes.
2. Turn on heat to medium-high. Soon, the oil will start to sizzle. Sprinkle in the paprika and stir. Continue to cook, stirring every few minutes, until cabbage brightens in color and begins to soften. Turn off heat so it doesn't get limp.
3. Drain excess oil if necessary and serve hot.
Difficulty rating π
No comments:
Post a Comment
I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.