Friday, November 25, 2011

Part VI: Safe Cooking

AKA, how not to poison your guests.

I've done a few posts on food safety, but this section will go into a bit more detail.  The holidays are a fun time to share food, but more people contract foodborne illnesses in November and December than in the rest of the year.

To check out some previous topics:


Most of the lessons I'm going to be boring you with are from ServSafe Essentials, the food safety textbook of the National Restaurant Association.  I don't have this newest version, but anything that has changed will be to make it more lenient than what I know, not more strict.  A lot of it is common sense, and the rest is stuff that you feel like you should have known, but no one ever told you.  I'm not going to go into any of the picky stuff that you'll never need to know.  This is about how to be a successful home cook with food safety in the back of the mind.  All of these lessons will become second nature after a while.

Don't worry, there will still be plenty of recipes.  It is baking season, after all.

This also means that I've finished the crackers and matzoh!   Yay, me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.