Saturday, June 3, 2023

Part XV: Change in Lifestyle

So, apparently people with a BMI around 20 can still be pre-diabetic.  My A1C had been creeping up for a few years, and Type I diabetes runs in the family, but no doctor had told me to cut back on the sugar, so I didn't.

It's just barely in the pre-diabetic range, and I've probably already brought it down by cutting out ice cream and halving the amount of sugar in my coffee.  I do expect to fix this issue with some minor lifestyle changes by the next recheck.

What I am not doing is calling this a diet.  Diet is a loaded word, and is almost certainly assured failure.  I did lose weight at first because I was cutting out carbs and not replacing them with non-carb calories.  Coming right out of Passover, I should have known better.

I'm not planning on going keto.  I'm not doing GF, which can have more carbs than a gluten-based baked good.  I'm starting with cutting my carb intake in half.  For example, instead of having two slices of challah for breakfast, I'm having one and an omelet.  Two sweet snacks a day turns into just one, with nuts or another protein-rich option if I need something else.  I had plain yogurt and fresh fruit with a touch of honey during Passover for tea a few times, and really liked it.  If I skip the honey, that's a low-carb treat.  When I had taco night, I only had one in a tortilla and the second "filling" portion on the side as a salad.  I didn't do one of those low-carb tortillas because they have 54% of your daily fiber and I was putting beans in it.  That would have hurt.

I made huge changes to my eating habits when I decided to go high fiber, low salt, and half vegetarian.  It's the right season to embrace the Mediterranean diet.  I'm going to have to get used to eating meat more often, but I won't miss rice at all.  Bread, yep, which is why I'm hoping this partial cutback is enough.

As far as this blog is concerned, you will be seeing fewer recipes using flour and sugar.  However, there will be more savory snacks that work as appetizers and more meat dishes.  I am not going to be evangelical about this style of eating, just as I have not pushed my prior habits and only related how they work for me.  Every person's needs are different.  And there are 13 years of sweet treats on this blog to look up if you don't see anything recent you want to make.  Feel free to browse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.