Thursday, June 15, 2023

Chicken Salad

Ok, I know I don't make chicken salad often, but it isn't even on this blog?  I do have some variations, but not your basic, mayo-based version.  I was making up the scraps from a roasted chicken and found this gap when I went to look for the recipe.

I started with the Bible's, but that was basically stir together chicken, celery, and mayo.  I could have figured out that part.  The variations below the main recipe had better ideas, which I used as a starting point for mine.

This was the first time I harvested my home-grown celery this year.  I had forgotten how much better it is than what you get at the store.  It's truly an herb.  And now that it's going to be playing a larger role in my diet, it's a good thing I planted too much.  Instead of using the extra for mulch, I'm going to prep and freeze half a year's worth, to cover the off season.

*8 oz shredded chicken (or one 10 oz can, drained)
*2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 tsp mustard
1 Tb minced onion
1/4 C raisins or currants
*1/4 C mayonnaise
*1/4 tsp dill
*1/4 tsp parsley flakes
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp white pepper
*1/4 C sliced or slivered almonds

1.  In a bowl, stir together everything except the mayo and almonds.  I actually didn't feel like cutting up the onion and used 1/4 tsp of horseradish instead.  Might not do that again, but I liked it that day.

2.  Stir in mayo and combine.  Unlike tuna, it takes a while to get chicken salad to mesh.  It also takes less mayo.  Refrigerate until needed.  Shortly before serving, stir in almonds.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.