Saturday, June 24, 2023

Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet

I've been making a lot of casseroles lately.  I haven't had consistent days off, which won't change much this summer.  Casseroles are easy and can often be prepped ahead of time.  This was originally going to be something I left in the fridge all day in the 8x8 and popped in the oven when I came home, but my days off changed again and I had the afternoon free for cooking.

I don't want to deal with the upkeep on a cast iron skillet for how often I might use one, so I just have basic non-stick.  I don't even use a Dutch oven.  Nothing against anyone who prefers them, they simply don't fit into my lifestyle.  I bring this up because most of the recipes I found for this idea used a cast iron. Any oven-proof skillet will do.  Actually, it only needs to be oven-proof if you want to do the toasted cheese topping, which I skipped.

This recipe is for canned or leftover turkey and fresh sweet potato.  There are many recipes out there using ground turkey.  For those, you cook the turkey first, then add the diced potato.  I'm working in the opposite direction.

*1 Tb coconut oil
*1/2 C diced onion
*2 ribs celery, diced
1 lb red sweet potato
*1/4 tsp dried sage
*1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp pepper
*8 oz leftover shredded turkey or one 10 oz can, drained
Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese, optional
*turkey gravy, for serving

1.  Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  While the onions and celery are sautéing, dice the potatoes into bite-sized pieces.  Peeling is optional.  I kind of half peeled mine just to check under some questionable spots.  This late in the season, not all potatoes have stored well.

2.  Add potatoes and seasonings to the skillet.  If you aren't having gravy, add a pinch of salt as well.  Add about half a cup of water and cover for 10 minutes, to steam the potatoes.

3.  Remove lid and add turkey.  Continue cooking to heat the meat and boil off the water, 5-8 minutes.  If using cheese, sprinkle on top and set under the broiler for 2 minutes to melt and toast.

4.  Serve from skillet and drizzle with hot gravy.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.