Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Part VII: Meals on a Budget

I got gas today.  The cheapest place I know was $4.24/gal.  And gas prices affect more than just what you put in your tank.  Every item you buy in a store got there on a vehicle that consumes gas.  That is often charged per case as a surcharge from the supplier, usually around 5¢.  That small fee adds up quickly, and is commonly passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices.  It's only good business sense.   What I don't understand is that the last time oil was $110 a barrel - just a few years ago - gas was around $3.50.  It didn't get to $4.50 until oil hit $149.  How come they get to charge more now?

Anyway, where was I?  I already covered a lot of ways to buy food at lower prices in the post Shopping Smart.  Now, I'm going to find ways to make lower-priced meals using those and other tactics which don't look like I was consciously trying to save money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.