Thursday, March 29, 2012

Poppy Seed Cake

So, after all that derision of poppy cakes (see here), I had half a can of poppyseed filling left over from Purim and decided to try the cake recipe on the can.  Everyone loves the Solo hamantaschen, so I figured I'd try their poppy seed cake recipe.

I don't own a Bundt pan.  I got rid of it last year after a conversation with myself that went something like this:

  • I have never, EVER made anything in a Bundt pan.  Why do I still have this?
  • Because it was your grandmother's, and you love all her baking stuff.
  • But I could use the space for those mini-loaf pans I want, or another muffin pan.
  • You already have TWO muffin pans!
  • But one's a half-pan, so I can only make 18 cupcakes at a time, and most recipes make two dozen.
  • C'mon, you never know when you'll need the Bundt.
  • Something's gotta go.  It's either the Bundt or the one that makes a dozen cupcakes shaped like roses.
  • (pause) Sorry, Bundt.
So, for anyone keeping score, a half-batch of this recipe will fill two mini-loaf pans.

1 C butter
1-1/2 C sugar
1 can Solo Poppy Seed Filling
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1 C sour cream (I used light, and it came out fine)
2-1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
powdered sugar for dusting

1.  Preheat oven to 350º.  Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan or 10" tube pan and set aside.

2.  Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add poppy filling and beat until blended.  Beat in yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add vanilla and sour cream and beat until just blended.  Slowly beat in flour, salt and baking soda.

3.  In a separate bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites to stiff peaks.  Fold into batter.  Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.

4.  Bake 60 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.  Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

My addition of lemon glaze:  Stir together 1/4 C fresh lemon juice and 1 C powdered sugar.  Be more patient than I was and let the powdered sugar dissolve completely.  Drizzle over cooled cake and allow to soak in and set before cutting.

Makes one 10" cake, enough for at least 14

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.