Monday, November 7, 2011

Banana Bread

This is what happens when I forget I bought bananas.  I prefer mine almost green.  Once a banana has a few spots, I don't like the texture anymore and save it for cooking.

I still feel bad about that almost-homemade muffin post way back at the beginning of this blog.  I am so glad the original Pantry Project is a distant memory.  This is an actual from-scratch recipe.  It's from Sunset Easy Basics for Good Cooking.  The version I have is out of print, and I seriously doubt it was one of the expensive versions Amazon lists.  I don't think I've used this cookbook ever, but it has extremely easy-to-prepare recipes.

One thing I noticed is that most banana bread recipes ask for 3 bananas, but then they say 1 cup of mashed banana.  I have a feeling the size of the average banana has increased significantly since most banana bread recipes were written.  I'm going with the one-cup measure.

You don't have to do the rum-soaked raisins, especially if children will be eating this.  I have inherited a very well-stocked wine collection and liquor cabinet, and I'm not much of a drinker.  Might as well cook with it.

*1 C mashed, very ripe bananas (2 or 3)
1 C sugar
1 egg
1/4 C butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1-1/2 C flour
1 tsp each salt, baking soda, and baking powder
*1/2 C raisins
1 Tb rum

1.  Preheat oven to 325º.  Lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.  (I used 2 of my minis).  Soak raisins in rum. You may have to soak them in hot water first if they're a little older.  Otherwise, they won't absorb the rum.

2.  In one bowl, combine bananas, sugar, egg, and butter.  In another, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.

3.  Pick a bowl and pour the other into it.  Stir until just combined.  You don't have to get rid of all the lumps.  Add raisins.  (With the rum, if you feel like it.  Otherwise, drain them first.)

4.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake until toothpick comes out clean, 50-60 minutes for a full loaf, 30-40 for mini pans, and 20-25 for muffins.  Cool in pan on a rack until you can handle the pan.  Remove bread from pan; it may require a spatula.  Cool until room temperature, then let it sit out another half hour.

5.  Banana bread tastes better the next day.  Wrap in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.  The easiest way to slice it is with a very sharp knife, through the plastic wrap.  It keeps it from disintegrating.  Warm to room temperature for serving.

makes 1 loaf

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.