Wednesday, September 9, 2026
Beet Experiment
Super King has beets for 49¢ per pound. A 15 oz can of them in the store is well over a dollar. I decided to cook up some to figure out if I was up to making a canner load. I wanted to find out how hard it was and if I liked them enough to make half a dozen jars.Despite every recipe online telling you to boil them, I decided to roast the whole beets in the oven. 375º for 90 minutes, oiled and wrapped in foil. The skins still didn't slip off without the help of a peeler, and one slice I tasted was crunchy. Fine, I boiled them for another 20 minutes and made the huge mess I was trying to avoid by roasting them. They still were too firm to cut with the side of a fork and had to be cut with a knife.After all that, I decided I prefer the texture of canned beets. They're almost like a firm jelly. Do I prefer it enough to go through the trouble of canning them myself? Not at the moment. I have enough grocery rewards to get three cans of vegetables for free, and I'm currently out of commercially canned veggies. The beets can be one of them.I'm not ruling out canning them in the future. The two pounds I bought would have filled about two pint jars, so 5-6 pounds would make a small canner load. I could see myself doing that when I have more bandwidth and it isn't 90º outside.
Labels:
Canning,
Vegetables
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment
I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.