Sunday, September 27, 2026

Eggplant and Chickpea Flour "Frittata"

This is a variation on something Alton Brown posted on his Saturday morning YouTube show.  He made it with zucchini and eggs.  Aside from those swaps, this is pretty much the same recipe.  I've probably also seen something similar on We Cook Vegan at some point.  She makes pancake-style meals often.

This comes off as an inverted socca, and was much tastier than I was expecting.  The crispy eggplant layer balances the softer besan that holds it together.  It can be served with tahini, marinara, pesto, salsa, or yogurt.  Probably other sauces too.  I had it plain in the photo, and was not disappointed.  The balsamic dressing from the salad that ran into it was nice.

I know I've shredded eggplant before.  I thought I did it on the box grater.  This one almost broke my food processor.  I didn't realize they were that dense.  File that one away for next time.

1 C chickpea flour (besan)
1 C water
1/4 tsp rosemary
1 small eggplant
*1 small leek, white and light green parts only
About 3 Tb olive oil
salt to taste 
pepper to taste
1 Tb potato or corn starch

1.  Stir together chickpea flour, water, rosemary, and a pinch of salt.  Allow to sit 2-4 hours at room temperature.  If making the batter in advance, refrigerate.

2.  Cut off the cap of the eggplant.  Peel if desired.  Grate and set in a strainer.  Sprinkle with kosher salt and toss lightly to distribute.  Allow shreds to sit for about 15 minutes.  Rinse out the salt, then press out as much water from the eggplant as you can.  It's going to go from filling the strainer to about 2 cups.

3.  Clean the leek and chop into thin slices, then mince.  Pour enough oil into a 10" skillet with a lid to just cover the bottom.  Heat over medium-high.

4.  Add minced leek and eggplant shreds to the skillet.  Dust with white pepper.  Cook until eggplant is done, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.

5.  Sprinkle eggplant with the potato starch and continue to cook until it starts to get crispy, another few minutes.  Arrange eggplant evenly on the bottom of the skillet.

6.  Stir batter and pour evenly over the eggplant.  Once it sets around the edges, reduce heat to medium and cover.

7.  When the top is mostly set, it's time to flip the pancake.  Loosen the edges first, then work inwards until it slides when you shake the pan.  If you're brave, do a pan flip or with two large spatulas.  I did a plate inversion.  First swirl a bit of oil on the plate, in case any spots weren't quite cooked.  However you flip it, give it about 3 more minutes for the bottom to set.  Mine looked burnt, but tasted only well crisped.

8.  Re-invert the frittata onto a serving plate and cut into wedges.  I made six because I was hungry.  You can do six or eight pieces.  Serve hot or room temperature, with or without a sauce.

Serves 8 as an appetizer, 3-4 as a main

Difficulty rating  :-0

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.