Thursday, October 3, 2019

Rosh Hashanah Tea

I didn't make my Summer tea deadline.  The first day I knew I could get off was RH eve, so that's when I scheduled the party.  It did give me a slight theme.  The later date also gave me a chance to bring in some fall flavors usually missing from an afternoon tea in July.

I didn't choose to do any particular "Jewish" foods other than apples and honey and sprinkling pomegranate seeds on the yam toasts.  I considered latkes, but they're very time-consuming and the invitation list doubled when I invited the HHD choir.  The only concession I made was to keep it kosher dairy, on the off chance that anyone actually observes.  The majority of my teas are kD anyway.  Once in a while I'll put meat or shellfish in the savory selections.
Conscious that many were considering this a light dinner before services, I made sure the savories were nutritious and filling.  I also came up with several GF options in the first course.  Eventually, I broke down and made some GF/Passover cookies with some leftover almond flour and potato starch.  I thought they were merely passable, but many were asking for the recipe.  Ok, I can post that.

I did get the number attending a bit wrong.  I won't have to cook for a few more days.  After putting out such a spread, that is fine by me.  I have mini scones and cookies in the freezer for snacking even after taking a plate to services.  Can't do that for YK, so more for me.

First Course

Cucumber Sandwiches
Crudités with White Bean Hummus and Baba Ghannouj
Pao de Queijo with Salmon Salad
Egg Salad on Pumpernickel
Sweet Potato Toasts with Peanut Butter

Second Course

Scones (both plain and currant)
Spiced Plum Preserves
Blueberry-Cherry Jam
Strawberry Lavender Jam
Devon Cream


Third Course

Persian Love Cake
Oatmeal Everything Cookies
Butter Tarts
Gluten-Free Almond Cookies
Apples & Honey

Difficulty rating  $@%!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.