Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Gluten-Free Almond Cookies

I'm not sure what's more annoying, having people ask at your bakery if there are gluten-free options, or not having them.  I treat the GF designation as seriously as true kosher or a peanut allergy.  Something either is, or isn't, and if you can't ensure the pan it's baked on is free of gluten, don't say it is.  Honestly, if I ever own a bakery, I'm putting up a disclaimer that we cannot guarantee something as GF or nut free.  "Made on equipment that also processes" is the best phrase lawyers ever came up with.

I started my second baking day for the tea with these, so I knew everything was clean and flour-free.  There shouldn't have been a "second baking day", but I got paranoid that I would run out of food.  Also, so I could make the two GF baked recipes before turning out a backup batch of scones.

These are not macarons, or even macaroons.  They rely on whipped egg for any semblance of leavening, and taste mostly like sponge drops.

These were also very picky.  They seemed to prefer a Silpat and the bottom rack in my electric oven.  They were ok on parchment, but you have to watch them from the 8 minute mark so they don't burn.  I could have tried another batch with less sugar, to make them easier to control, but I had made a 2-egg version and it was a massive amount of cookies already.
The good news is that the GFs at the party were asking for the recipe.  I guess they're used to putting up with whatever someone serves, just being grateful they can eat it at all.  They're good cookies, KLP without the extract, and you won't run out.

*1 C almond flour
*1/2 C Potato starch
dash of salt
1/4 C unsalted butter
1/2 C sugar
2 Tb brown sugar
1 Tb oil
1/4 tsp coconut extract
1 egg, room temperature

1.  Preheat oven to 350º.  Line two or three baking sheets with a Silpat or parchment.

2.  Cream together butter and both sugars.  Beat in oil, extract, and egg until smooth and fluffy.  This is all of your leavening.  Scrape down sides of bowl and beat again.
3.  Sift together almond flour, salt, and potato starch.  Add to mixer and beat until smooth.  Since this is GF, you can't overbeat it.

4.  I found it easiest to pipe these with a 1/2" plain round tip into drops slightly bigger than a Hershey's Kiss.  Or you can drop by generous teaspoons onto the baking sheets.  These are going to spread out flat to about twice the original diameter, about the size of Nilla wafers.
5.  Bake until set and just beginning to brown around the edges, about 8-10 minutes.  Allow to cool on the pan for several minutes, then carefully transfer to a cooling rack.  They stay soft, but you can store them in layers separated by wax paper in a sealed container or in the freezer.

Makes about 3-1/2 to 4 dozen

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.