Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Acorn Squash with Red Lentils

This was originally going to be Spaghetti Squash with lentils, but they didn't have any at the market.  After going back and forth a bit between the eggplants and hard squash display, I decided to stick as close to the original intent as possible.  It's still a stringy gourd, you just get a different look.  I have another use for the spaghetti squash if I ever find one.

Still determined to use an ingredient I've never bought before, I chose rainbow chard instead of kale for the greens.  It's much easier to clean and chop, and cooks down the same.  Being organic, I had to put up with the holes and extra dirt pre-wash.  I'm doing battle in my garden with a tomato-stealing squirrel, so I get the organic issues.

For the pesto, I Pantry Project-ed it with the last of this year's basil plant, some sliced almonds, and whatever parmesan was left in the tub.  Technically, a tablespoon of pesto is a serving, so I only needed a quarter of a cup.  Yeah, right, whoever only uses a tablespoon of pesto.  I made half a cup.  I drizzled some on top, then puddled a little to the side to be mixed in when you got to the bottom.

2 small or 1 large acorn squash (2 lbs)
*2/3 C dry red lentils
1/2 C diced onion
*1 clove garlic, minced
1 bunch chard or other leafy green
1 C mushrooms, sliced
salt
olive oil
*1/2 C pesto

1.  Preheat oven to 350º and line a rimmed sheet pan with foil for easy cleaning.  Slice squash stem to tip and scrape out seeds and strings.  Rub inside and out with a palm-full of oil.  Place cut-side down on baking sheet and roast until easily pierced with a fork, 45 minutes to an hour.
2.  When squash is about halfway done, start the filling.  Rinse the lentils and simmer, covered, in a saucepan until tender, about 15 minutes.  Remove from heat and drain off any excess water.  Set aside.

3.  In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil.  Cook onion and garlic over medium heat while you chiffonade the greens and slice the mushrooms.  Add to the skillet and sprinkle with salt.  Cook until greens are wilted and mushrooms have given off most of their water.  Add lentils to the skillet and finish cooking.
4.  Plate squash halves, or cut halves into quarters if using one large squash.  Top with vegetable-lentil mix and drizzle with pesto.  Serve hot.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.