Sunday, October 27, 2019

Fried Plantains

This isn't a banana theme in the making, just a coincidence.  I wanted a side for the white bean burgers and wasn't in the mood for salad.  I was thinking potatoes, which evolved into this.  It can get weird when I go to the grocery store without a list.

Before and After
This got a little messy.  I've been working on some much-delayed stove cleaning and did this the day before a session.  The internet turned me on to using ammonia on my burner grates to get off the baked-on charcoal grease.  I didn't even know you could buy it without showing an ID.  $1.29 for half a gallon at Target.  Took a couple of soakings to get it down to a passable level.  If I do this three or four times a year, my stove will stay sparkly.  The only people who think a white kitchen is a good idea have a cleaning lady to keep it that way.  Thanks, Mom.

I got the ripest plantain they had, but you really need to make these with almost black fruit.  Mine was kind of hard and starchy.  Plus, it's a lot easier to peel an overripe plantain than one only just beginning to turn.  You end up with something more like thick plantain chips than mushy slices.

2 plantains, at least half black
oil for frying
salt or cinnamon, for garnish

1.  To peel a plantain, cut off the top and bottom.  Make a slit through the skin and peel carefully.

2.  While heating 1/2" of oil to 350º, slice plantains diagonally or into wedges.  If they start to take on a pinkish color, it's just oxidation.  It will disappear as they fry.
3.  Carefully add the slices to the hot oil.  Fry until golden brown, turning after 4 minutes.  Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.  Dust with salt or cinnamon while still sizzling and serve hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.