Saturday, October 12, 2019

Egg Salad

I'm not really a fan of egg salad, which is why I haven't posted a recipe for it yet.  As the guest list for the tea grew, my original plan of deviled eggs was becoming too much work.  Open-faced egg salad on either pumpernickel cocktail toasts or some kind of veggie cup would be much easier.

My issue with egg salad is the same as with tuna salad and any other "salad" that is too easy to make all mayo.  I'm not sure if it's a taste or texture thing, but I rarely choose something like this on a menu.  I'm also not much into avocados, but I put too much salt in this and avocados are an easy fix for that problem.  Plus, it was free with grocery rewards.

4 eggs
*2 Tb mayonnaise
*1 tsp mustard
*1/2 tsp horseradish
2 Tb shallot or red onion, finely diced
*Celery salt to taste

1.  Hard boil the eggs.  Place in a saucepan with water to cover by one inch.  Bring to a boil for 2 minutes, turn off heat, and cover.  Let sit for 15 minutes.  Place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking, then peel.

2.  Dice eggs.  This gets easier if you pop out the yolks into a bowl first and only chop the whites.  I know, that sounds like a no-brainer, but it took me two eggs to figure out.  The yolks will get broken up when you mix everything together.
3.  Add egg whites and remaining ingredients to the yolks in the bowl and mix together.  Start with just 1/4 tsp of celery salt and add more as needed.  Every mayo has a different sodium content.  Apparently the GF Passover mayo I had in the fridge has a lot.

4.  Serve as sandwiches, salad, or a side.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.