Sunday, December 16, 2018

Waldorf Berry Salad

After the khachapuri, I'm on a real diet.  I can't eat everything I want to anymore, now that I'm not baking at work.

Still, I had leftover celery and apples.  In my world, the first thing that comes to mind is Waldorf Salad.  But, um, diet.  I went looking for a lighter version the same day blackberries were on sale for 67¢.  The Dairy Farmers of Canada have a website called Dairy Goodness with plenty of recipes.  Their Waldorf salad was exactly what I had in mind.  I didn't change much, mostly making it lower in fat and adding a bit of honey to the dressing because I used Granny Smith apples.  If you use a sweeter variety, you can omit it.

*1 large Granny Smith apple, diced
*2 ribs celery, diced
*1 C walnuts
6oz blackberries (or assorted any berry)
1/4 C Greek yogurt
2 Tb milk
1/2 tsp honey
*1 Tb lemon juice
salt and white pepper to taste

1.  While dicing the apple and celery, rinse the blackberries and let them drain.  Also toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until dry and easy to chop.  Shake periodically, and pull the pan if they start to smoke.  Coarsely chop walnuts and combine first four ingredients in a bowl.
2.  In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients into a creamy dressing.  If you want it thinner, add milk a few teaspoons at a time.

3.  Pour dressing over salad and stir to combine.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Traditionally, you present the salad on a few lettuce leaves.  I never actually eat the lettuce, so I skipped it this time.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.