Friday, December 7, 2018

Fig Scones

I've been avoiding recipes using cardamom for years.  It was never something we had in the spice rack growing up, so I had not made it a priority to incorporate it in my recipes.  Usually, I've been substituting nutmeg.

On a whim, I bought a small package of cardamom because it was half off.  After researching, I found out that it is the third most expensive spice in the world if you get the good stuff in whole form.  I'm sure what I bought was Guatemalan, plus it was ground.  I decided to open the package to liven up some scones.

It was a good choice.  The aroma is similar to Earl Grey tea, which is apt when you consider it's an ingredient in most Chai blends.  I've mostly seen it in Scandinavian and German baking recipes because I don't do much Indian or Indonesian cooking.

So don't be scared of a new spice.  Who knows, it may become your new favorite ingredient.

*4 dried figs (about 1/3 C)
1 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
2 Tb butter
2 tsp sugar
*1/3 C milk

1.  Finely dice figs.  Place in a small bowl and cover with a few tablespoons of boiling water.  Let sit for a few minutes until you need them.

2.  Preheat oven to 425º.  Line a baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat.

3.  In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and cardamom.  Cut in butter until texture resembles oatmeal.  Stir in sugar.
4.  Drain chopped figs.  Add to flour and toss to distribute.  Add milk and stir.  Knead dough until evenly moist and everything holds together.
5.  Either cut out individual scones or press into a disc and score deeply with a bench scraper.  I made eight small wedges, to make it easier to decide how much I wanted at a sitting.  Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden brown.  Allow to cool 5 minutes before breaking apart and serving.

Makes 6-8

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.