Thursday, December 13, 2018

Cherry and Apple Pie

Our cherry pastries at work were discontinued after we bought some filling.  It was only one can, so I asked if I could take it home and return it in the form of a pie.  I had one crust in the freezer and no plans for it.  I decided to donate it to the cause.

It also takes two cans of pie filling to make a cherry pie.  I decided to mix it up with some Granny Smith apples and top with some cinnamon crumb I found in my chest freezer.

What I did not do was add more sugar.  There is a lot in the cherry filling.  The tartness of the apples really shone through.  If you're looking for your pie to be more like jam in a shell, toss the apples in a quarter cup of granulated sugar before stirring into the cherry filling.

This pie was in the oven the same time as my first batch of khachapuri, and I was so excited about those that I forgot to take decent pictures of the pie.  So you get reflection off the stainless steel table at work and paper plates.

*1 frozen pie crust, thawed
*1 21 oz can cherry pie filling
2 C 1/2" diced Granny Smith apples
1/4 tsp cardamom
*1/8 tsp cloves
1 C cinnamon crumb

1.  Preheat oven to 425º.  Stir together pie filling, chopped apples, cardamom, and cloves.  Pour into crust.
2.  Sprinkle crumb on top.  Place pie on a baking sheet in case it bubbles over.  Mine didn't, but you never know.

3.  Bake for 40-45 minutes, until crust is golden and apples are cooked.  Allow to cool for easier slicing.  Serve warm or room temperature, ideally with a side of vanilla ice cream.

Serves 8

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.