Friday, May 4, 2012

Waldorf Salad

Still trying to take off bread weight.  I used the Smart Beat fake mayo, so I guess this one is vegan, too.  Princess the cat is really upset with me for not eating meat the last week.  I'm not having anything I can give her.  Molly's a good kitty; she doesn't beg loudly.  Princess flat-out smacks me in the arm when I don't offer her a taste of whatever I'm eating.  I'll have lox and bagel one of these mornings and give her a bite.  Papa Smurf used to give her lox every Sunday morning.  Expensive tastes, that cat.

Gimme oatmeal!
Some recipes for Waldorf salad include sugar or honey.  I find the apples and grapes provide more than enough sweetness.  If you substitute Greek yogurt for the mayo, you may need to add a little sugar to cut the tartness.

2 eating apples (red delicious, gala, rose, fuji, or jonagold work well), cut in bite-sized dice
1 C celery, cut bite-sized (2 or 3 ribs)
1 C red seedless grapes, cut in half (I used green, and it wasn't as pretty as if I'd used red) or 1/2 C dark raisins
*1 C walnut halves
1/3 C mayonnaise
1 Tb lemon juice
lettuce leaves to line serving bowl

1.  Stir together apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts in a mixing bowl to distribute evenly.

2.  Stir in lemon juice and mayo until all pieces are lightly coated.

3.  Line serving bowl with lettuce leaves.  Spoon salad into bowl.  Chill until ready to serve.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.