Saturday, July 27, 2013

Teriyaki Tuna Bowl

I'm having dental work done (redone) for the next several weeks, and have to find foods that require minimal chewing so I don't pop off my temporary crown.  I've been through this more than I'd like, and am kind of an expert on making interesting things you don't have to chew.

I haven't tried this yet.  The thought of another batch of non-crunchy tuna salad was more than I could bear, but adding teriyaki and making it a hot rice bowl sounds like something I would make even without the dental work.

I did this one with brown rice for nutritional value and because I had rice pudding for breakfast.  It doesn't make for as pretty a picture as if I'd used white rice.

2 5oz cans tuna in water, drained
1tsp olive oil
2 stalks green onion, finely chopped
2 C frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1 C rice (long grain or calrose, your choice)
1/4 C teriyaki sauce

1.  In a medium saucepan, bring rice and 2 C water to a boil.  Lower heat to simmer, cover, and cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes, while you're making the rest of the bowl.

2.  In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium and cook onions until soft but not crispy.  Add veggies and cook until heated.  Add drained tuna and teriyaki sauce and cook until hot.

3.  When rice is ready, fluff with a fork and portion into bowls.  Top with tuna mixture and have extra sauce on hand for those who like more.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.