Saturday, July 6, 2013

Chilled Cream of Broccoli Soup

OK, this is actually the Allrecipes recipe for a hot cream of broccoli soup, but I found it much too salty for my own taste, and serving it cold dulled that.  Plus, it was really hot the next day and I didn't feel like heating the leftovers.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner.  The broccoli plant is relentlessly putting out more crowns than I can eat.  Now I wish I had been weighing them and keeping a tally.  I've probably made back my investment on the plant at 99¢ a pound, and it's only the beginning of July.

The tomatoes are ripening one by one, but the plant itself has a leaf fungus problem.  I trimmed off over half the leaves and sprayed the plant with what I hope is the right product.  It won't hurt, but it may not save it.  One asparagus crown appears to have died, but the less vital one is finally putting out a second fern.

Meanwhile, I've been cutting crowns when they're ready and freezing them.  The frozen broccoli you get at the market has been flash-frozen, which is better for veggies.  To reduce the amount of freezer burn on these, I used the FoodSavr vacuum function before putting them in the freezer.  It doesn't matter if the crowns are slightly bruised and freezer-burnt, since they are getting cooked and puréed anyway.  This wouldn't work if you were planning to serve them raw or lightly steamed.

5 Tb butter, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
*8 cups (about a pound) fresh broccoli, chopped
3 Tb flour
2 C milk
* black pepper to taste

1.  Melt 2 Tb butter in large pot and add onion and celery.  Cook over medium until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add broth and broccoli.  Bring to a low boil, lower heat to simmer,  and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.

2.  Remove soup from heat.  Purée in blender in batches, about a pint at a time.  This is for safety, so you don't end up with hot soup everywhere.  Return to pot and keep warm.

3.  In a smaller saucepan, melt other 3 Tb butter.  Add flour and stir together to make a roux.  Gradually add milk about 1/2 C at a time, allowing it to thicken before adding more.  When white sauce is ready, add to soup pot and stir to combine.  Taste and add pepper as necessary.

4.  Sure, you could serve it hot at this point.  If chilling, allow to cool to room temperature until it stops steaming.  Then chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.  Half an hour before serving, divide into bowls and place in freezer.  Garnish with extra broccoli before serving, if desired.

Serves 6 as an appetizer, 4 as main course

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.