Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Rice Pudding with Cranberries

I can't believe I've never made rice pudding before.  It wasn't part of my diet growing up, and I hardly ever have it, but it seems like something basic I should have made at some point.

It also seems to be one of those comfort food recipes that have a million posts online that are all slightly different, and none of them are exactly what you want.  There's leftover rice vs dry, long-grain vs arborio, and it goes on from there.  I started with this one at Allrecipes and tweaked it to my liking.

3/4 C dry rice (I used Calrose, or sushi rice)
1-1/2 C milk, divided
1/2 C water
1/4 C sugar
1/4 tsp salt
dash of nutmeg
1 egg
2/3 C dried cranberries
1 Tb butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

1.  In a medium saucepan, bring rice, salt, 1 C milk, and 1/2 C water to a low boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until cooked, 15 to 20 minutes.  Stir halfway through to make sure it is cooking evenly and the milk doesn't scorch.

2.  In a small bowl, beat together egg, remaining 1/2 C milk, sugar, and nutmeg.  Stir in cranberries and add to rice.  Stir together, recover, and let cook for 5 more minutes.

3.  Stir in the pot.  If too thick, stir in more milk a tablespoon at a time.  Stir in butter and vanilla.  Portion into bowls, garnish with more nutmeg, and either serve hot or chill in serving dishes to serve cold.

Serves 4 as dessert, 3 as breakfast

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.