Kugel is one of those traditional Jewish foods, in the sense that no two people make it the same way. Basically, it's a noodle pudding. I like to make it sweet and fruity and have it as breakfast. Comes out like a noodle-y coffee cake.
*3 C egg noodles
*3 C chopped fruits or dried fruits. Stay away from citrus, berries, or bananas. Think apples, pears, peaches, raisins
1 C milk
1 Tb sugar
1/2 tsp each cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg
1. Boil water in a big pot. 2 qts should be enough. Preheat oven to 350º. Butter an 8"x8" casserole.
2. While noodles are cooking, chop fruits into bite-sized pieces.
3. In a bowl, beat eggs well. Beat in milk, sugar, and spices.
4. When noodles are very soft, drain and rinse. Stir in fruit. Place mixture in casserole. Pour liquid mixture evenly over the noodles. It should come up almost to the top. Let set for a minute before placing in oven.
5. Bake for 50 min. Pull out of oven and let rest for 10 min before slicing, to let the custard set. Serve hot, but leftovers are just as good cold.
Makes 6 servings
Difficulty rating :)