Thursday, April 25, 2024

Seder 2024

This year, I decided to cook like there were a lot more people coming and freeze leftovers that didn't get taken home.  It may have gotten a little out of control.  I forgot to photograph the final spread, but it was way more than I needed to serve.  I also needed leftovers because there is a Little Debbie commercial being shot at the house today, so I don't have access to the kitchen.  Yes, during Passover.  The irony is not lost on me, but this is the first location shoot the house has gotten since I signed with two scouting companies over ten years ago, and I already had the week off without any specific plans other than painting the coat closet.  I'll re-kasher the counters once they leave.

I'm also trying to do the part of the observance where you don't go grocery shopping for the whole week.  It involved buying most of the produce Monday morning, which was fine because I didn't have time to prep cook last weekend anyway.  There were a lot of recipes, but the cabbage rolls involved the most actual work.

I had a short talk with my cantor, and she said that the Reform movement has recently relaxed the kitniyot rules to be more in line with Sephardic observances.  That's going to take a few years to get used to, but I'm less worried about checking for canola and soy additives in products this year.

I did go to Western Kosher for a few items that the regular markets aren't carrying this year.  Half of it was actually for the rest of the week, not Seder, and I didn't need meat.  $84 later...  I signed up for their rewards program, which is $10 off every $300.  The cashier agreed it doesn't take long to hit that.  For someone who usually manages $50 of groceries per week, it was a huge sticker shock.

The afternoon took a huge turn when my kitchen sink terminally backed up.  I was almost done cooking!  I've been postponing the inevitable.  The house was built in 1957 and this is the original pipe.  They're going to repipe the outgoing starting tomorrow.  Meanwhile, the laundry sink is my temporary kitchen sink, and I'm crossing my fingers I don't screw that one up as well.  I'm trying to be grateful that this happened while I have a week off, and before painting the outside of the house.  Also, I have enough food cooked until they're done.

Basic Seder Side Cup

Hard boiled egg
Charoset
Parsley
Gefilte Fish (Jar this year.  Didn't have time to make it.)

Starter

Chicken Matzoh Ball Soup

Main Meal

Roast Chicken Leg Quarters with Tomato-Garlic Confit
Lamb Keftas with Green Goddess Dressing
Smashed Potatoes
Quinoa and Vegetable Cabbage Rolls
Steamed Artichokes (which also used the Green Goddess)

Dessert

Boysenberry Parfaits
Almond & Honey Dates
Store-bought macaroons

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.