Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Smashed Potatoes

I wanted a starch for a vegetarian mezze meal that doubled as something dippable.  I considered latkes or some other starchy pancake, but didn't really feel like frying anything.

At first glance, these look like a bit of work.  They aren't.  It is two pans to wash, but the boiling one isn't a big deal.  The oil came off the baking sheet far easier than I was expecting.

The recipe I semi based this off of told me to use the back of a sturdy measuring cup to smash the potatoes.  I decided that I never use my wooden mallet and got it out.  I think it's easier to smash them while they're still hot.  I boiled them the night before and refrigerated them.  It did occur to me to warm them in more boiling water before the smash, but I didn't do it.

These potatoes come out of the oven crispy on the outside and tender in the middle.  They're great on their own, with a little sour cream and cheese, or as a kind of canapé base.  I'm probably going to make them for Seder.

12 baby potatoes, about 1 to 1-1/2 lbs
kosher salt
pepper to taste
dried parsley
olive oil as needed

1.  Clean potatoes and place in a large pot with water to cover by one inch.  The only baby potatoes the market had that day were red ones, but Yukon would be ideal.  Red are more dense and are probably why several cracked when I smashed them.  Add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil.  Turn down the heat a little and gently boil until easily pierced by a fork, about 15-20 minutes.  Drain.  As a do-ahead, refrigerate at this point.

2.  Preheat oven to 425º (or 400º with the convection fan).  Brush a rimmed sheet pan with olive oil to coat.  Press down on the potatoes with the back of something flat and sturdy, like a heavy glass or metal measuring cup, until less than 1/2" thick.

3.  Arrange smashed potatoes on the baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, parsley flakes, and a drizzle of olive oil.  Bake another 15 minutes, until the edges are crispy and browning.  Serve hot.


Makes 12, serves 4 as a side dish

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.