Friday, March 8, 2024

Kale and Onion Yogurt Dip

My little mezze meals tend to be a great source of appetizer recipes.  Usually, I just go for a cheese and crudité plate with hummus and nuts, but this time I kind of went all out.  Probably should have saved some of the ideas for Purim, but I do have a separate list for that...somewhere.

This dip counted as the protein for the meal.  Greek yogurt actually has a lot of protein in a 3/4 C serving. You can add Parmesan for additional protein, but I'm still working through the cheddar.  The never-ending two pound block of cheddar.  Good thing I love grilled cheese sandwiches.

Because I'm using caramelized onions, this is going to take a while.  Very little of the time is active.  I used the time to chop veggies and set the table, and still sat down for a bit to relax.  Multitasking while waiting for onions to caramelize is a real thing.

1/2 yellow onion
1 Tb olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
*1 bunch kale
1 clove garlic, minced
*2 C Greek yogurt
milk as needed to thin

1.  Pour oil in a wide skillet or pot and sprinkle in the salt.  Thinly slice the onions and add them to the pot.

2.  Start to cook the onions over medium heat.  Once they begin to soften, stir and lower heat to medium-low.   Stir every 10 minutes or so until they are as done as you like them.

3.  While the onions are cooking, prepare the kale.  Strip the leaves from the tough stems and thinly slice crosswise (chiffonade).  I was using kale from my garden, and the stems were thin, so I didn't bother to de-stem.

4.  Add garlic and kale to the onions and cook until kale is thoroughly wilted, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

5.  Once no longer steaming, combine onion-kale mixture with the yogurt.  Taste and add salt if necessary.  Thin with milk to desired consistency.  The Fage I was using was pretty thick, but other brands may be smoother.  Chill until ready to serve.

Makes 2 C

Difficulty rating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.