Saturday, April 13, 2024

Eggroll in a Bowl

I've been hearing about this dish for a while now, and finally looked it up when I needed something to do with ground turkey.  Well, that's easy, especially when you use store-bought coleslaw mix.  No wonder it has gotten so popular.  It's also keto-friendly and fairly good for you.

For a sauce, I opened a jar of sweet and sour sauce.  Last year's canning was largely sauces, since my jam enjoyment was severely curtailed by my A1C.  Once I do this latest round of tests, it will be a full year of cutting carbs and I'll know if I've conquered insulin resistance.  Doesn't mean I can go back to having all the sugar I want, but it would allow some leeway to enjoy treats with less guilt.  I really am a carboholic at heart.

For a side, I roasted up some sweet potato toast and drizzled the Korean BBQ sauce on it.  That was really good too, but not exactly a recipe.

1 Tb vegetable oil
1 lb ground turkey or lean beef
1 14 oz thinly sliced cabbage or package coleslaw kit
*1 tsp grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
*soy sauce to taste, about 1/4 C
1 Tb rice vinegar
sriracha to taste
1 egg, lightly beaten
green onions to garnish

1.  In a large skillet, brown ground turkey in the oil over medium-high heat, breaking it into crumbles as you go.  If using a meat other than turkey, omit the oil.

2.  Add 1/4 C soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant.  Add cabbage and stir to combine.  Cook until wilted, about 5-8 minutes.  A lid will help the process along.

3.  Taste a bit and add sriracha and/or more soy sauce as desired.  Stir to combine.  Make a well in the center and pour beaten egg into it.  Mix rapidly so the scrambles make it all through the dish.

4.  Serve hot, with chopped green onion for garnish and with a sauce of your choice if desired, like teriyaki, sweet and sour, hot mustard, etc.  You can have it as-is for keto/reduced carb, or with rice or won ton chips.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.