Monday, April 1, 2024

Puff Pastry Chicken Cordon Bleu

I can't remember the last time I had Cordon Bleu.  We used to get those frozen ones at Costco, back when it was still called Price Club.  Or maybe Costco bought Price Club.  Anyhow, the breaded, filled chicken cutlets made it to dinner about as often as their Chicken Kiev.

I wanted something along those lines by taste, but not so much effort.  Puff pastry is fantastic cheat.  It looks elegant and all you did was defrost it.

I don't think I've ever bought The rectangular pressed ham slices.  Did not realize they're 1/3 water and additives.  Probably the same as deli slices, but I'm not used to seeing it so bold on the package.

This recipe was when I realized I'm out of homemade mustard.  I have some basic French's, so that's what we're using today.  I would have preferred some of the Dijon that I shouldn't open for a month.  You can use any kind you have on hand, or omit it if you want only creaminess and no tang.

This came out so elegant.  It would make a great item for brunch or tea, or even game day.  I made main dish-sized slices, but you could definitely slice it thinner for a party.

*1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
flour for the board
*1 boneless/skinless chicken breast, about 12 ounces
4 slices deli ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
Mustard or BBQ sauce (optional)
1 egg, beaten, for glazing (optional)

1.  Defrost pastry sheet until pliable, about 30 minutes.  Roll on a lightly floured board until almost as long as a baking sheet.  Line the baking sheet with parchment and carefully transfer the pastry.

2.  Thinly slice the chicken, no more than 1/2" thick, so it will cook in the same amount of time as the pastry.  Start preheating the oven to 400º.

3.  To assemble, make a line with the Swiss down the middle of the longer side.  Top with the ham, and then add any sauce you might like.  I'll admit, I used too much French's.  Keep the sauce light.  Top with the raw chicken.

4.  Fold the sides of the pastry over the filling, then bring up the two ends.  Flip the whole thing over and make sure all the loose ends are underneath.

5.  Cut slits in the top of the pastry for vents, then brush with egg wash, if using.  Bake 30-35 minutes, until well browned and the chicken temps at 165º.  Allow to cool 5 minutes before slicing.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.