Monday, April 22, 2024

Almond & Honey Dates

I can't believe Passover is tonight.  I still have to finish so much, because I worked up until yesterday.  I need to start adding the day before to my staycations.

But here's one thing I did make in advance and stash in the fridge.  I actually made these first for Purim, but decided to make them for Passover as well.

I first saw these on Tasting History.  They were vendor snacks at the Colosseum.  I feel that would be exceedingly messy, but I wasn't there.  I'm not cooking them in honey like the ancient Romans did, just soaking the almonds in the honey until they become a dough and stuffing the dates.  I'm using a fresh box of dates, so they don't need the extra help.  And I'm not adding ground pepper, like they did in ancient Rome.  Have fun if you wish to try it.

I had no idea of ingredient quantities when I started, and ended up making far more filling than 8 dates' worth.  If I wasn't saving it for Passover, it would have gotten stirred into yogurt or spooned over ice cream.  Or maybe into oatmeal.  It's a very versatile product, if you end up with some left over.  I've corrected the quantities for this post, I hope.

8 Medjool dates, pitted
1/4 C chopped nuts (almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans, etc)
1 Tb honey
spices, rosewater, or extracts as desired

1.  Finely chop the almonds.  I did it in the mini food processor, but whacking them in a baggie with a rolling pin works too.  There should still be decent sized pieces, but small enough to fit in the dates.  Stir together with honey and any aromatics.  Warming the honey first makes it easier to stir, but don't boil it or you'll make candy.  Set aside.

2.  Slit dates longways, leaving the back intact.  If necessary, remove pit or any tough fibers.  Set on a foil-lined sheet and preheat oven to 300º.  I used the toaster oven for this small batch.

3.  Stuff the dates with the nut mixture.  You don't have to close them completely.  They should be easy to pick up.

4.  Bake for 5-8 minutes, long enough to toast the nuts and soften the dates.  Allow to cool a minute or two, then serve warm.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.