Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Quick Pickled Slaw

This recipe out of Southern Living is really for summer cookouts, but I wanted to use it in tacos.  I figured the lightly sweet brine would go well with the salsa verde I was going to add to the tacos.

I was very surprised to find that I did grow radishes in the Pond, despite a warm November.  I thought they were all going to bolt.  The next round should be more successful now that it's cooler.  Especially if the critter that keeps digging up the Pond finds somewhere else to hunt.  Probably a possum.  I don't ask for much out of my garden.  I just want the local wildlife to respect it a tiny bit.

I was somewhat disappointed in the Trader Joe's cabbage.  It was a good price, but the outer two layers had quite a bit of discoloration and probably mold.  You can't tell when they're wrapped.  From now on, I'll buy open-stock.  As for the rest of the cabbage, I'm probably going to make sauerkraut.  It's so easy to do, and 3/4 cabbage's worth doesn't take up much space in the fridge.

If you want more color, use red cabbage or a green/red bagged mix.  You could even use a coleslaw kit and substitute the brine for whatever dressing they provide.  The cheaper coleslaw mixes don't even come with dressing.

1/3 C rice vinegar
1/3 C water
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp kosher salt
3 C or 4 oz (about 1/4 head) green or red cabbage, finely shredded
1 C carrots, cut in matchsticks, about 1 medium
1/4 C finely sliced shallot or red onion
3-4 radishes, cut in matchsticks

1.  In a small saucepan, bring vinegar, water, sugar, mustard seed, and kosher salt to a boil for several minutes, until the sugar and salt are dissolved.  Set aside.

2.  Combine shredded and cut vegetables in a bowl.  Add warm brine and toss to distribute.  Cover and refrigerate for 12-15 minutes.

3.  Drain off excess brine and transfer salad to serving bowl to retain crunchiness.  If, like me, you prefer your slaw slightly limp, let it sit in the brine longer.  Serve cold.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.