Monday, December 18, 2023

Mincemeat Bars

I saw a different take on thumbprint cookies that is far less labor intensive.  Plus, I'm not a huge fan of cookies that are mostly shortbread.  I like filling.  This way increased the ratio and made them party-friendly.  I switched the filling to mincemeat to make them "Christmas" cookies and here we are.

I can't remember if I've posted the cookie part of the recipe before.  It's the "Cherry Thumbprints" out of the L.A. Times cookie anthology.  The link I found says 2004.  The glaze is my idea.

I did not go shopping before deciding to make these, so I used regular butter instead of European and a touch of milk instead of the cream.  Oh yeah, and erythritol for the granulated sugar.  No idea if it made a difference, but everyone at work loved them.  I doubt any of them had tried mincemeat before, so that was the novelty.

1/2 C (1 stick) European-style unsalted butter, softened
1/4 C sugar
2 Tb brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 Tb heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 C flour
about 1 C mincemeat filling
1/2 C powdered sugar
1-2 tsp *brandy or lemon juice

1.  In stand mixer with the paddle, cream together butter, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until fluffy.  Scrape down bowl.

2.  Add egg and beat 1 minute, until smooth.  Add cream and vanilla and beat in.  Scrape sides of bowl and beat again.  Add flour and beat until combined.

3.  Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.  It will not be completely firm.

4.  Preheat oven to 350º.  Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.  Separate dough into 2 pieces.  Shape each into a log about a foot long and lay down on sheet.  Create a channel along the length of each log.  Fill with mincemeat to the top of the groove.

5.  Bake 16-20 minutes, until puffed and golden.  Watch the bottoms.  I rotated the tray halfway through because I was putting more cookies in the oven.  No idea if it helped.  Cool on the tray.

6.  Stir together powdered sugar and brandy until it drizzles in a ribbon from the spoon.  You can use a bit of water or milk if it takes more liquid.  Be careful, it goes from clumpy to runny very fast.  Drizzle over the cookie logs and allow to set.

7.  Once cookies are cooled, cut into bars and arrange on tray.  For storage beyond one day, refrigerate.

Makes about 18

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.