Friday, December 15, 2023

Gelatin and Fruit Mold


All right, this one is super basic.  Yet once again, my Millennial and Gen Z co-workers had never heard of doing this.  Under the concept of what's old being new again, here's an option for a gluten free dessert at holiday gatherings.

I admit that I'm eating more carbs.  The next couple of posts will show that.  As long as I'm lifting boxes at work that are half my weight, I'm going to assume the muscle can burn off a little more blood sugar than I did a year ago.  Still, this recipe was done with sugar-free mix and unsweetened fruit.  I'm trying to get things out of the freezer, including the three quart bags of boysenberries I froze in the spring.  It's about as close to a healthy dessert as you're going to get this time of year.

Just a reminder, don't use raw pineapple or kiwi in gelatin.  There's an enzyme that prevents it from setting.  You can poach the fruit or use canned, but be sure to drain it well.

1 4-serving box gelatin mix, any flavor
1 C fresh or thawed fruit in a coordinating flavor

1.  Prepare gelatin according to package directions.  Allow to set in fridge until semi-firm, but can still go back to smooth on top after stirring.

2.  Cut fruit in bite-sized pieces if using something larger than a berry.  Thoroughly drain if thawing frozen fruit.  Stir into goopy gelatin.

3.  Either portion into individual cups or into a mold.  This can be an actual gelatin mold like I have, or a bowl or cup with an interesting pattern.  Chill until firm, at least 4 hours and preferably 8.

4.  If unmolding, dip for a few seconds in hot water, then flip out onto serving plate.  I'm starting to get better at it.  Probably should have centered the mold and cleaned up the edge before taking a picture.  Re-chill until actual serving time.  It helps the gelatin maintain its shape if you leave the mold on top.  Serve as is, or with garnish of additional fruit and/or whipped cream.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.