Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Spinach and Red Lentil Salad


This feels like a duplicate post, but I couldn't find a similar salad I thought I made with kale.  The closest I found was the sweet potato one from the beginning of the summer.  It's also possible I never blogged the one I'm thinking of.  I have been known to eat things and not write about them.  Apologies if this is too similar.

My cherry tomato plant died in the tropical storm.  So did one of my two floundering carrots.  The Pond pumpkin, however, found new life.  I still don't have any pumpkins growing, but the plants are trying.  For how much I've been ignoring them this past month, that's an accomplishment.  The last two cherry tomatoes I rescued are by this salad.  I'm suggesting significantly more in the recipe, just to add color and a bit of tang.

1 lb fresh spinach
1/2 C dry red lentils
*1/2 lb carrots
1 C cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 C feta cheese
2 Tb white wine vinegar
1 Tb lemon juice
1/4 C olive oil
*1/4 tsp sumac
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Wash and de-stem the spinach.  I don't care if the bag says "triple-washed".  Spinach can get very dirty. Dry in a spinner, towel, or drained in a colander over the sink.

2.  Rinse the lentils well.  This could take four rinses, depending on the brand.  Place in a small saucepan with water to cover by 1/2".  Peel carrots and dice or cut in rounds, as desired.  Add to pot.  Bring to a low boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until lentils are done, about 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and drain off all water.

3.  While the lentils are cooking, make the dressing.  Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, oil, sumac, and salt and pepper to make a light and citrusy vinaigrette.  Chill until ready to use.

4.  To assemble salad, toss together spinach and cooled lentil/carrot mixture.  Garnish with tomato halves and feta.  Drizzle liberally with dressing.  Alternately, you can toss the dressing into the spinach/lentil/carrot mix before plating and garnish after.  I had it as a main-dish salad with a bit of pita.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.