Saturday, October 28, 2023

Oven-Baked Tortilla Chips

I was going to make tostadas with some leftover corn tortillas, then remembered that I don't like corn tostada shells.  Rather than pick up some flour tortillas, I morphed the menu into nachos.  Still prefer flour tortillas for that, but corn isn't bad.

Originally, I was going to do a typical deep-fried nacho chip.  But diet guilt got to me and I researched how to bake them, which generally allows for olive oil.  Olive oil isn't good for deep frying, as it has a lower smoke point.  So, making chips in the oven is a real thing and I got a general idea of how it works.

I'm following the method on Healthy Nibbles, which is pretty much the same as all the other recipes I read.  Oil, lime juice, salt, bake until crispy.  You can add other spices to the topping if desired, but I kept it simple this time.  And I'm totally making them again, rather than buying a bag that will go stale before I can finish it.

6" corn tortillas
Olive oil
*Lime juice
table salt

1.  Prepare a baking sheet by lightly greasing, either with olive oil or pan spray.  A darker sheet will cook these better.  You can use parchment, but it might increase baking time.  It wasn't that hard to clean the pan.  Preheat oven to 375º, or 350º with the convection fan.

2.  In a small bowl, combine 2 Tb olive oil (to start) and a teaspoon of lime juice.

3.  On a work surface, lay the first tortilla.  Brush on olive oil mixture.  Set another tortilla on top and brush again.  Keep stacking up to about 6 high.

4.  Cut tortilla stack down the middle, then into wedges.  Six is more traditional, but I wasn't feeling coordinated and went for 8.  Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet.  If you run out of room, you can either grease another baking sheet or do them in batches.  I decided on batches in case I got the baking time wrong and burned the first tray.  Sprinkle lightly with salt.

5.  Bake until golden and crispy, about 12-16 minutes.  Every oven is different.  If you use the fan, it will happen sooner than without.  Start checking at 12 minutes and every few until you get the color you want. While they're in the oven, you can start another batch if desired, mixing up a new bowl of oil and lime.

6.  Remove chips to a serving bowl.  Alternately, cooled chips can keep in a sealed container roughly one week.

Roughly 2 tortillas per serving

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.