Sunday, October 22, 2023

Mediterranean-Style Chunky Salad


This wasn't going to be a post, but it was a really good salad.  As summer turns to fall, I'm finding it harder to eat the way I'm supposed to.  Yes, I feel way better when I follow a Mediterranean diet, but I really want pastries and carb-laden foods.  Cutting out carbs is much harder than when I reduced salt and added fiber, even though both diets have improved my health.

Tarragon isn't specifically a Mediterranean herb, to my knowledge, but it created a floral note to the dressing that worked well with the artichokes.  Thyme is also more European, but it also happens to be one of the few things going gangbusters in my garden, and I need to use up what I have so I can rotate in the new batch.

1 head green or red leaf lettuce
*1 lb Roma tomatoes
*1 cucumber
*2 green onions
*1 can chickpeas
*8 oz frozen artichokes, thawed
1/2 C feta cheese
1/4 C olive oil
2 Tb white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
*1/4 tsp each dried tarragon, thyme, and oregano

1.  Coarsely chop lettuce and rinse well.  Dry, either in a salad spinner or in a colander, and set aside.

2.  Coarsely chop the tomatoes.  Peel cucumber and cut into chunks about the same size as the tomatoes.  Finely chop the green onions.  Drain and rinse chickpeas.  If artichoke package says they require cooking, tend to that.

3.  At this point, you can store everything separately in the fridge for later.  If you're not really caring about presentation, toss it together and store it that way.

4.  To make the dressing, whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, and herbs.  I know, glamorous to photograph.

5.  For a tossed salad, pour dressing over mixed bowl and toss again.  Top with feta and serve.  To plate it, start with the lettuce.  Top with other components, then drizzle with dressing and garnish with feta.  Serve either chilled or room temperature.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.