Saturday, October 7, 2023

Everything but the Turkey Sheet Pan Dinner


Techie, Writer, and Melody Smurf  came for a visit.  We had a great time and saw a lot of the local sights. I more or less stayed to lower-carb options, as much as I wanted ice cream and pizza, but I ate far more meat and far fewer veggies than I'm used to.  The first dinner after they left was an attempt to even that out.

It's barely starting to feel like Fall.  I consider the transition to be when the humidity drops, which is not necessarily the same day it gets cooler.  It's often warmer because of Santa Ana winds, yet feels more comfortable and crisp.  Even so, I wanted a Fall-themed meal.

I did use a beef brown gravy packet for this because I had it.  A cream of mushroom or golden mushroom soup, or mushroom gravy, would easily make this properly vegetarian.  I wasn't shooting for that, just a vegetable reset.  That's also why I added a can of beans to the veggies after roasting.  If you're uncomfortable with the notion of having half your daily fiber in one meal, swap out the beans for brown rice, quinoa, or a nice steak.

1 medium, red sweet potato (about 12 oz)
12 oz fresh green beans
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 medium yellow onion, French sliced
2 Tb olive oil
salt and pepper
*1/2 tsp dried sage
1 15 oz can kidney or canellini beans, drained and rinsed
*1 C gravy of choice

1.  Preheat oven to 375º.  Line two baking sheets with parchment for easier cleaning.

2.  Peel sweet potato and cut into bite-sized pieces.  In a bowl, toss potato and onion slices in 1 Tb oil.  Arrange on first baking sheet.  Sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper, and 1/4 tsp of the sage.  I made the mistake of putting the onions on the other sheet.  Didn't think they would take so long to cook.  Put the sheet in the oven to get a 5-minute head start.

3.  Trim the ends off the green beans and clean the mushrooms.  Toss in the bowl with the other tablespoon of oil and spread on the second baking sheet.  Again, season with light salt, pepper, and the rest of the sage.  Add to the oven and continue to bake until the potatoes are done, about 20-25 minutes.  Everything else in there doesn't actually require roasting, but will taste better.

4.  Toss together all cooked veggies and the rinsed beans.  If omitting beans, I would recommend plating the veggies on top of the rice.  Drizzle gravy onto each serving and have hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.