Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Pumpkin Cream Pie

It was so not-hot this summer in my area that I never grew a pumpkin.  It was massively disappointing, especially after all the allergies I endured off the male flowers.  I had even bought new pumpkin patch signage last year on clearance, in anticipation.

All that, to say I have to crack open some cans for this fall's pumpkin creations, and no pumpkin martini jam.

It's too early for the pumpkin chiffon pie, but that doesn't use a whole can anyway.  I decided to scoop out what I was going to need for that and freeze it, then use the remainder in a recipe now.  But what to make?  What I really wanted was something like the peanut butter cream pie, but with pumpkin.  Took all of five minutes to find a recipe for it online, and yeah, it's a thing.

I'm altering the recipe on Lauren's Latest, mainly replacing some of the cream cheese with whipped cream.  A few of the other amounts are tweaked.  I happen to be using a chocolate nut crust I had in the pantry, but a graham cracker, cookie, or pre-baked flour crust are all fine.  I looked for pumpkin Oreos, because that would have been amazing.

Like the peanut butter pie, this will taste and feel like flavored whipped cream.  For something sturdier, either put back the other brick of cream cheese or use one of the recipes I saw that stirs vanilla pudding mix into the pumpkin.

*1 9" prebaked pie crust
1 8oz brick cream cheese, softened
1/2 C pumpkin purée
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/4 C lightly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1-1/2 C whipping cream
2 Tb powdered sugar

1.  In a stand mixer with the paddle, cream together cream cheese, pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and spices.  To lower the sugar content, I subbed in erythritol for the white sugar, because I'm still trying not to eat a ton of refined sugar.

2.  Separately, beat whipping cream to soft peaks.  Add powdered sugar and beat to firm peaks.  If desired, set aside 1/2 C of the whipped cream for garnish.

3.  Stir together pumpkin mixture and whipped cream.  Pour into prepared pie crust and refrigerate, covered, until firm, about 4 hours.  If desired, garnish with reserved whipped cream.


Makes one pie, 8 servings

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.