Saturday, April 1, 2023

Freezing Avocados

I don't love avocados.  I go through so few that I generally buy one bag of frozen chunks a year.  But those IQF avos have gotten expensive for something I rarely use.

Sprouts had avocados for 50¢ each.  I didn't need any, but thought I might in the near future, so I started reading up on how to freeze them.

The general wisdom is that a previously frozen avocado will not have the texture of a fresh one.  I already knew that from previous purchases.  I also don't like the texture of a fresh avocado, so no problem there.  I prefer them mashed up and mixed with other stuff.  That's the kind of thing we're making here.

Method 1: Whole avocado.  I didn't do this, but supposedly you can wrap them in plastic, place in a freezer bag, and toss them in.  Once defrosted, the skins pretty much slip right off and you just have to remove the pit.

Method 2: Halves.  This is along the lines of the Wholly Guacamole halves you can find in some stores.  Split, remove pit, and scoop from skin if desired.  Coat exposed parts with a thin layer of lemon juice to preserve color.  Vacuum seal and freeze.

Method 3: Slices and chunks.  What I did.  Halve, remove pit, and scoop out of skin.  Slice into desired pieces and toss in lemon or lime juice to preserve color.  Freeze on a sheet pan, then place in a baggie to store.  If you have it, vacuum seal for added protection and time before discoloring starts.

Method 4: Mashed.  Add a liberal amount of lemon or lime juice and mash the avocado chunks.  You can also freeze prepared guacamole.  Place in a baggie, squeeze out the air, and freeze flat.  If you would like specific portion sizes, like for smoothies, freeze in ice cube trays and pop out before storing in the baggie.

All of these methods will produce a similar texture once defrosted, so it's really up to you whether you want to put in the effort before or after the freezing.  I opted for before, but not so completely mashed as to remove the option of serving it diced.

For about ten minutes of work before the freezer and five after, I have a quart of diced avocado and only spent $2.  I am calling that a win.

Difficulty rating  π


No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.