Thursday, April 13, 2023

Cheese Fondue

 

I have two fondue pots, a Crockpot, and something called a "cheese baker", which is a crock that fits over a tea light stand.  I need to have more fondue parties.

When I decided to have a dairy Seder, it took me about a day to make it cheese fondue.  I researched recipes, and it was definitely doable.  Most recipes thicken the cheese with cornstarch or flour, but I found one that used potato starch.  Other than that, they were identical.

Most cheese fondue recipes include white wine.  I did not want to have most of a bottle of white left over that I didn't want to drink.  Plus, I like sherry in my mac'n'cheese and figured it would go well here.  Then I found KLP cooking Marsala and was sold.  That would be perfect with the white cheeses that are common in fondue, and lower in alcohol.  It didn't occur to me that it would turn the mixture pink.  No one seemed to care.

I was living in the moment and didn't take any pictures.  So you get ones of the leftover ingredients and a lunch I had during the week with re-melted cheese and some fruit I had to finish before it turned.

1-1/2 lb Swiss, Emmenthaler, and Gruyere cheeses, any combination
1/4 C potato starch, cornstarch, or flour
1 C cooking Sherry or Marsala, or 2 C white wine
nutmeg and white pepper to taste
Milk as needed to thin
Items to dip

1.  Grate or shred the cheese.  You can do it on a box grater, but I had the processor out for the latkes and used that instead.  Either way, freeze the cheese for about 30 minutes first and it will be easier to handle.  Toss shreds with potato starch to coat.  This part can be done a day ahead.

2.  In a medium saucepan, heat wine to a simmer.  You want little bubbles, but not a full boil.  If desired, you can let it simmer for 10 minutes to burn off most of the alcohol.

3.  Add cheese a handful at a time.  Stir constantly to melt.  If mixture is getting too thick, add milk to make it a dipping consistency.  Season with nutmeg and white pepper to taste.

4.  Pour into the fondue pot and keep over a low heat while serving.  If it starts to bubble, the bottom will scorch.  There wasn't much I could do about the electric pot except keep it on a low setting.  For the Sterno one, the insert can be used as a double boiler.

5.  Keep passing out dippers until the cheese is gone.  We had broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, artichokes, pears, apples, and matzoh.

Serves about 8

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.