Friday, July 1, 2022

Reuben Fries


I made a corned beef and it was going to be either this or hash.  I have fries in the freezer, so yeah.

This was also an opportunity to use the last jar of last year's sauerkraut.  I'm finally to a point that I feel comfortable canning more preserves.  Still can't believe I made more than I could use in a year.  This summer, I'm going to do less of each variety and have more of a choice.  No more 6-8 jar batches of any one thing.  I'm just one person.

So back to the fries.  Same concept as chili fries or poutine, but with corned beef, sauerkraut, shredded Swiss, and dressing.  I'm not a Thousand Island fan and made a variation of Papa Smurf's Special Sauce with a generous dollop of mustard added because it's corned beef.  Your choice.  It all comes together very fast as a last-minute meal, party snack, or afternoon treat.

About half a bag frozen french fries (4 servings)
1 lb corned beef, chopped
*1 14 oz jar sauerkraut, drained
*1 C shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 C Thousand Island, mustard, or other dressing

1.  Cook fries according to package directions.

2.  In an oven-safe serving bowl, cast-iron skillet, or platter with a rim, arrange fries around the edges.  In the middle, add corned beef, sauerkraut, and cheese.

3.  Place bowl under the broiler for 2 minutes, to melt the cheese and get everything crispy.  Remove and drizzle with dressing.

4.  Serve hot, warning people not to touch the dish.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.