Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Bulgur and Feta Salad

I still have some cracked bulgur, and decided to make a variation of tabouli.  I'm not giving this an official "Non-American" label.  It's simply a Mediterranean-inspired dish that can be either a side salad or a main dish, depending on portion size.  The recipe amounts as posted are for main dish.

I might change the unit topic to "cooking by meal planning".  That's what I've been doing the past few months as a way to deal with inflation.  I buy ingredients that I tend to use when they are on special and figure out later what to do with them, plotting on the calendar a month ahead.  The tactic has been especially useful for meats, which can be kept in the chest freezer for months.  This salad, for example, started with using the bulgur, then evolved to use items from the pantry, garden, and seasonal or by coupon at the market.

I try not to be a brand snob.  I will shell out the extra for Kikkoman Teriyaki Baste & Glaze because it is the exact consistency and flavor I want in a teriyaki sauce.  I bought Bumble Bee canned salmon because it was the cheapest on the shelf that day.  Maybe I had a coupon.  When I opened it, it was like they rolled up a salmon fillet and shoved it in the can.  I'm used to brands and generics where you get bits and almost as much bone as meat.  As long as it's within 50¢ of comparable varieties, I'm switching.

While I'm using my pickled radish pods in this recipe, you can easily substitute sliced radishes to make the ingredients more accessible.

*3/4 C cracked bulgur
8 leaves red-leaf lettuce (half a head), chopped
*1/2 C chopped parsley and/or cilantro
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
*1 large or 2 medium beets
*1/2 C pickled radish pods in brine or 4 radishes and 1/4 C red wine vinegar
*2 green onions, finely sliced
1 can salmon, optional
1/2 C crumbled feta cheese
white pepper
2 Tb olive oil

1.  Simmer bulgur in 1-1/4 C water for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow the bulgur to continue to soak up the water.  Fluff before transferring to the salad bowl.

2.  While the bulgur is cooking, cut the top and root off the beets and lightly boil in a small saucepan for 10 minutes.  Remove, and when cool peel and dice 1/2" cubes.  If you don't want to go through all this, substitute diced tomatoes.  I had recently eaten bell peppers and my stomach needed a break from nightshades.

3.  To make the dressing, whisk together radish brine and olive oil.  Add salt, pepper, or sugar to adjust the seasonings.

4.  At this point, you are ready to assemble the salad.  Get a big bowl.  No, a bigger one.  You can transfer it to a serving bowl later.  Toss together all ingredients except a little feta held back for garnish.  If using the canned salmon, break it up first when you drain it.  Taste a bit and decide if it needs more seasoning.  Chill until ready to serve.


Serves 4 as a main, 6-8 as a side

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.