Monday, July 25, 2022

Chilled Pea Soup with Mint

I haven't done a cold soup in ages.  Middle of summer sounds like a good time for it.

Since this is a British recipe, I got out the Royal Albert china.  It's the first time I've used the bowls, after getting them for myself for my birthday.  Pink might not be the best color to accent a green soup, but whatever.  It felt special.

Most chilled pea soups use fresh peas.  Even when I'm in my pea-growing season, I can't get a pound all at once.  This version uses frozen peas, which have been blanched, so a long cooking time is not required.

I found this recipe on Not Enough Cinnamon, which seems to be crediting it to Jamie Oliver.  It was the simplest version I found that accomplished the flavors I wanted to use.

When I tasted it hot, it was like a sweeter, less pasty version of a split pea soup.  Chilled, you can really taste the mint.  I ended up not adding salt because I wanted the other flavors to stand out.

1/2 Tb unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
2 C reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
*10-ish mint leaves (on the stem is ok), more for garnish if desired
1 lb frozen sweet peas
salt and white pepper to taste

1.  In a soup pot, cook the shallot in the butter over medium heat until well softened and not browned.

2.  Add broth and mint.  Vegetable broth will make this dish vegetarian, but chicken stock actually brings a nice richness to the soup.  Bring to a simmer and allow the mint to infuse the broth for 5 minutes.

3.  Add the peas, return to a simmer, and cook about 4 more minutes.  It's fine if you add them frozen.  It will just take longer to return to the boil.

4.  Remove mint and run soup through the blender, in batches if necessary, until smooth.  If serving warm, return to pot and bring back up to a simmer.  Add salt and pepper if necessary and serve.  For chilled, remember that anything will taste less salty once cooled.  Stir in salt and white pepper with that consideration and chill at least 4 hours before serving.

5.  Optional, you can stir in half a cup of cream to make a silkier version.  I didn't think it really needed it, but some recipes use cream.  Do not boil the soup once cream is added.  Straining the soup is not recommended.  Stir well before serving.  Garnish with mint sprigs, whole peas, or pea shoots if desired.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.