Sunday, July 10, 2022

Victorian (Rhubarb) BBQ Sauce

I finally got my preserves cabinet down to a reasonable level.  When I "only" had three flavors of jam left, I decided to make a couple more.  Since I'm trying not to waste water, it made sense to can as many things in one day as I could handle, then use the slightly acidic canning water on the blueberry bushes.

First up was this selection out of the Ball book that I had on my list of things I wanted to make this year.  I also made strawberry jam with vanilla instead of lavender in the sugar, and blueberry with the small amount of leftover rhubarb from this recipe.  Blueberry jam can come across as a bit too sweet, so the rhubarb was there to balance the flavors, along with some extra lemon juice because technically I was rebel canning and wanted to make sure the acidity was high enough.

The remains of 2021 canning season
I'm only making a half recipe, because my over-abundance of products from last year wasn't a variety issue, but making too much of each item because I had a pot that could handle it.  Also, because fresh rhubarb is $5 a pound this year, up 25%.  I could have used frozen, but it wasn't much cheaper and saving 50¢ but not being able to see what you're buying did not appeal to me at the time.

I ended up with three cups of sauce, one less than I should have by the Ball recipe.  I'm presuming I reduced it farther than they did.  "Commercial BBQ sauce consistency" must be thinner in their world.  I do like thick, spreadable sauces.  This is also going to be chunky, not smooth, unless you run it through a blender.  It's primarily the raisins, no matter how finely you chop them.

4 C chopped rhubarb (frozen ok)
1-3/4 C lightly packed brown sugar
*3/4 C finely chopped raisins
*1/4 C finely chopped onion
1/4 C white vinegar
*1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt

1.  If canning, prepare canner and jars for a 4-cup yield.  Finished product can also be refrigerated for a month or frozen for longer storage.

2.  In a non-reactive saucepan, combine all ingredients.  Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. It isn't going to look like there's enough liquid to do this, but give it time.  The rhubarb gives off more than you think it will.

3.  Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened to the consistency of commercial barbecue sauce, about 30 minutes.  The rhubarb completely breaks down in about 15.  Any bits you see after that are onion or raisin.  If desired, purée with an immersion or regular blender, then return to a low boil.

4.  If not canning, cool to room temperature, place in a non-reactive storage container, and refrigerate or freeze.  If canning, ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2" headspace.  Debubble, adjust headspace, wipe rims, center lids, and screw on bands.  Process 15 minutes.  Cool, remove bands, check seals, and store.

Makes 3-4 cups, depending on thickness

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.