Tuesday, August 29, 2017

My Oktoberfest

A while back, I bought one of the expiring corned beef packs from St. Patrick's Day because it was dirt cheap and threw it in the chest freezer.  Recently, Edison shut off my power for the day to install a new power pole, so I inventoried the freezer a couple of days before.  Nothing was in danger of defrosting in a mere 8 hours, but I did decide to put the corned beef on my to-eat list.

I'm not sure why Oktoberfest starts in August.  Probably as an excuse to drink more beer.  It was a bit warm out to simmer a brisket all afternoon, but I've done worse.

I rummaged through my pantry, fridge, and blog for ways to make this a complete meal, and came up with something light enough to have during these warm days.

German corned beef and cabbage, served with the last jar of Oktoberfest Beer Mustard, and a hefty slice of beer cheese bread was enough for a meal.  I threw in some quick pickles that were ready to eat and this rather boring-looking meal was plated.  Two baggies of cooked and sliced corned beef went back in the freezer for another time.  This is quickly becoming the beef version of the year-old turkey.  Still, not a bad meal and the only new expenditure was the cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.