Sunday, April 22, 2012

Beer-Cheese Bread

People keep leaving beer at my house.  Techie Smurf has his stash for visits, but I don't know where the rest of it came from.  I got this recipe from The Saucy Dipper, who got it from Alton Brown.  It just sounds like the perfect thing to toast up for breakfast or tea.  Or to put barbecued meat on.  Or rip to shreds the instant it comes out of the oven.

Sara said hers came out a touch dry.  That could have been from over-baking, since it can be hard to tell when a cheese bread is done.  The melted cheese sometimes looks like uncooked dough.  Just to be on the safe side, I added 1/4 C of milk to the original recipe, which seems to be how I "fix" any baking recipe that doesn't quite work.

Being an Alton Brown recipe, the measurements are by weights and degrees.  This scientific way of cooking really does produce more consistent results.  Plus, I got to use my new digital scale.  I did measure the flour as I went, but keep in mind the volume is approximate.  I also used all white flour.  If you use the original's whole wheat for part of it, the volumes will not match.

12 oz wt. all-purpose flour (about 2-1/4 C)
1 Tb baking powder
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
*1/2 tsp dill weed
4-1/2 oz grated sharp cheddar
*12 oz (1 can, 1-1/2 C) cold beer
1/4 C milk

1.  Grease a loaf pan and preheat the oven to 375º.

2.  In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients.  Stir in cheese.

3.  Add beer and milk.  Stir until just combined, as few strokes as possible.  Pour into loaf pan and spread evenly.

4.  Bake 45-55 minutes, until 210º or a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in the pan 10 minutes.  Turn out to a cooling rack and let cool 10 minutes before slicing.

Makes one loaf, about 10 servings

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.