Monday, July 3, 2017

Cauliflower Couscous

I still had that other half of the head of cauliflower to eat before it spoiled, and decided to try this.  It's a basic and easy recipe.  The most time-consuming part is grating the cauliflower, which is why I gave up after about 30 seconds and threw everything in the food processor.  Instead of "cauliflower rice", the finer texture looked and tasted a whole lot like slightly sweet couscous, so that's what I'm calling it.

Having learned my lesson from over-cooking the roasted cauliflower, I did this as a simple stir-fry until it started to smell cooked.  You can feel free to change the flavorings.  I used what I had on hand and what would work with the lamb chops I was having.  The chops weren't ready when I took the picture, and you couldn't really see the cauliflower on my white plates, so I added paprika and a quick side salad for contrast.  Hey, feel lucky I didn't think to throw wasabi powder in it.  I bet it would taste great.

*1 medium head cauliflower
1 Tb olive oil
*1/4 C finely diced onion
*2 Tb fresh cilantro leaves
salt and pepper

1.  Wash cauliflower and shake dry.  Remove all the green leaves.  Cut into quarters to expose the core.  Cut the florets off the core and place in food processor with cilantro and several shakes of salt and pepper.

2.  Pulse food processor until cauliflower is chopped into very fine pieces, but not so much that it makes a paste.  Any resistant florets can be finished on a box grater.
3.  Heat oil over medium high in a large skillet.  Cook onion until softened, then add contents of the food processor.  Cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently for even cooking.  As soon as it starts to smell cooked, take it off the heat and serve.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.