Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Fennel and Kale Salad

I miscounted my meals and ended up with a bundle of kale in search of a purpose.  At the same time, the largest fennel bulb in the pond was casting so much shade on its neighbors that one beet had completely given up.  Salad time.
Full Pond
This was quickly shaping up to be a very monochromatic salad.  At some point, I'm going to run out of boysenberries, but they worked to perk up this.  After that handful, I switched to some dried figs.  The sweet tones worked well in this salad.  I didn't need nuts, since the fennel was plenty crunchy.
Minus 1 Fennel

Wish I had realized the root
is edible.  Next time.
*1/2 bundle kale, about 3 stems
*1 large fennel bulb
*1 rib celery
salt
*2 Tb white wine vinegar
2 Tb olive oil
*1/2 tsp anisette (optional)
*cracked pepper
*berries or dried fruit for garnish

1.  Remove kale leaves from rib and finely chiffonade.  In a large bowl, sprinkle kale with salt.  Knead kale for several minutes, until the tough fibers are all broken down.  It will look wet and won't feel as crunchy.

2.  Thinly slice fennel bulb, keeping stems and fronds for another use.  I discard the core because it's hard to chew, but it is edible.  Thinly slice celery, so it's pretty much indistinguishable from the fennel.  Toss in with kale.

3.  To make the dressing, beat together vinegar, oil, and as much pepper as you like.  Add anisette, if using.  It heightens the fennel flavor a bit.  Normally, I would add salt, but you just massaged up to 1/2 tsp into the kale.  Toss into salad and serve, garnished however you like.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.