Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Red Lentil Veggie Burgers

This recipe was less about finding a use for the rest of the kale than a redemption on the burger bun recipe.  This time, I set the timer.

I love my black bean veggie burgers, and it was time to do a meatless meal, but I decided to try something different.  Unlike the black bean ones, I wasn't trying to make something that tasted like meat.  This one was supposed to taste like a chewable lentil vegetable soup.  When I changed my mind and decided to fry them instead of bake, the flavor trended more towards falafel.  They're still tasty, but the lentil flavor got drowned out by the veggies.  For some people, that's a plus.

*6 C leafy greens such as kale, chard, spinach, etc
*1 rib celery
1 carrot
*1/2 C chopped onion
*1 clove garlic
3/4 C dry red lentils
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
olive oil for frying

1.  Simmer lentils in lightly salted water until soft, about 10 minutes.  Drain very dry.

2.  Chop all veggies and pulse in food processor until no large pieces remain.  Add to drained lentils and stir in seasonings and eggs.
3.  Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Spoon about 1/2 C mixture onto skillet per patty for bun-sized pieces.  Cook until underside browns, about 4 minutes.  Flip and cook other side until browned, another 2 or 3 minutes.  Repeat until all of mixture is cooked.

Disclaimer:  I had a bit of trouble flipping these guys.  It wasn't as bad as the fried salad incident, but you should use a wide spatula.  Some of the pieces were more like sloppy-joe veggie patties.

4.  Serve hot on buns.  I used two per serving, with tomato slices between them and a yogurt sauce on top.  It still made a lot more than I was expecting.

Serves 6 to 8

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.