Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Roasted Cauliflower

This also counts as the new ingredient of the week.  I've never bought cauliflower.  I don't like it.  That's kind of weird, because I love broccoli.  Cauliflower is very nutritious, which usually makes me want to eat something.  Not so much this.

The real problem became obvious when I was looking it up in the Bible.  Until recently, the only way anyone prepared it was steamed.  I do like my broccoli on the mushy side, but I guess not cauliflower.  It must be similar to my yes eggplant/ no zucchini issue.

Nowadays, you can get it roasted, riced, mashed, and several other creative ways.  On a whim, I decided to buy a head and add half of it to some pasta primavera-ish thing I was going to make with pesto.  Everything tastes good doused in pesto, so I figured I was safe.
Most recipes posted online are pretty much the same if you're looking for the basics.  I chose to go the garlic route because it was going on pasta.  You could use fresh or dried herbs as the flavoring, or put a dry cheese like parmesan on it.

So the big question is, did I like it?  It was ok.  I think I cooked it too long.  It kind of tasted like Brussels sprouts that had been steamed too long.  I'm the weird kid who liked Brussels sprouts, so this wasn't all bad.  Kind of a cabbage-ey note, but not in the stinky feet category.  I still have half the head, so I'll try something else with it in a few days.

1 medium head cauliflower
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tb olive oil
salt and pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 400º.  Cut head in quarters to make it easier to remove the core.  Cut the florets into bite sized pieces.

2.  In a bowl, toss together florets, garlic, and olive oil.  Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.  Dust with salt and pepper

3.  Roast 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned and can be pierced easily with a fork.  Use a spatula  to loosen a piece and check underneath.  It should be browned but not burnt.

4.  Serve hot as a side or cold in salads or as a crudité.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.