Monday, March 21, 2011

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I got the basic idea for this from the L.A. Times food section, then added the cheese when Papa Smurf said he would be more likely to eat his veggies if they had cheese on them.

I like Brussels sprouts. These and bok choy are the only kinds of cabbage I would make voluntarily. Even as a kid, I thought they were great. I also loved lima beans, so draw your own conclusions.

I made these with frozen sprouts. Fresh ones are more crisp and have the feel of miniature cabbages. They're also usually larger than the ones in freezer bags. I would say four to six whole sprouts per person if you buy frozen, but only two or three for fresh.

20-24 frozen brussels sprouts, defrosted (8-12 fresh)
2 Tb olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/4 C grated parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350º. In a bowl, combine oil, salt, pepper, and oregano.

2. Slice sprouts in half lengthwise. Place in bowl and toss in dressing to coat.

3. Add parmesan and toss again to coat sprouts with cheese. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake 15 minutes, or until cheese is toasted a golden brown. Serve hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.